In case you weren't paying attention the first time I did a book review (and I am pretty sure most people weren't!) here we go with a second review/recommendation. If you think I am being presumptuous, that's okay. Just breeze on by. I just like to write and share good things.
This is so worth sharing because have I got the book for you. I received it for Mother's Day and it kept me out of bars for quite a while as I found it fascinating. The title is An Unfinished Love Story.
Don't worry, I am not reading romance novels (not that there is anything wrong with that!) This is a book written by Doris Kearns Goodwin. She is still writing about presidents but this one is exceptional. I think it is even better than Team of Rivals which was made into a terrific movie with Daniel Day Lewis. Maybe we will show it in the Media Lounge some evening.
Goodwin was married to Richard Goodwin for forty-two years until his death. He was a speechwriter for John Kennedy, worked on the campaigns of Eugene McCarthy and Robert Kennedy and also worked as a speech writer for Lyndon Johnson. Richard Goodwin was always there when history was happening. Doris also worked for LBJ and after his presidency ended, she spent a lot of time at his ranch helping him with his memoirs.
Doris and her husband went through 300 boxes of letters, documents and memorabilia he had saved from his various jobs after they more or less retired. The book is based on these papers and the memories shared by Doris and her husband.
Frankly it was rather pleasant to leave the present day and return to another era in our history that I actually lived through. So much happened in those critical years. I also love to get all the inside stuff about why decisions were made and why some things were done a certain way. Just think that 1960 when Kennedy took office was 64 years ago. Really! Isn't it time that you refresh those memories with a fascinating book?
I am sure this book is at the library and since it was out in the spring. it might be easy to find on the shelf by now. If not, you can borrow my copy (probably a bit tea stained, but isn't that the fun of actually owning a book?) Let me know if you want to borrow it and I will place it in your cubby.
Thank you for your lovely offer. I would very much like to read the book. I have seen her interviews about the book an almost bought it. Now I won’t need to. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteLynda Paulson # 283
Read the book. Loved the history lesson. Now finishing Bob Schieffer’s book “This just in”. Similar time frame from a news reporter's point of view. Little different slant concerning Johnson presidency and animosity toward Robert Kennedy
ReplyDelete